Friday, October 7, 2016

Where is halfway?

Last week the excitement could be felt for days after my students received and opened a care package containing Hakon (pronounced Hwa-kuhn), our Norwegian troll mascot.




Though we were warned not to take Hakon in the sun or he would turn to stone, my students took him to the beach the day after he arrived. It was class day - a time to relax and enjoy each other's company. Hakon loves the Hawaii sun and he is still as soft and cuddly as when he arrived. The warm Hawaiian sun is kind to our troll.

Seeing faces of their new friends and reading about their interests, pets, family, favorite subject in school made the connection real. With pictures and guide books about Bergen included in our box, I overheard this conversation:

"I want to go to their school."

"I want to go to Norway!"

"Me too!" chimed in several other students. The map on the wall in our classroom shows just how far apart our schools are. My students noted how close Hawaii is to the equator and how close Norway is to the North Pole - and how far apart our schools are. Then someone came up with a great idea.
"Let's meet halfway."

I asked where that would be.  One student noted it might be in the middle of the ocean. Another suggested we meet in eastern Canada. "What about New York?" asked another.

This week, before class started, I heard a conversation (again) about meeting halfway. Another student commented, "You guys sound serious. Are we really doing this?"

I jokingly told them that if we're serious, we better start selling some spam musubis. (Yes, spam is popular in Hawaii and spam musubis can make good money.)  I wonder how our friends will like spam?


No comments:

Post a Comment